Class actions can be a powerful tool for a group of similarly situated people who have been injured by a common practice, product, or accident. They can also be an expensive nuisance to defendants when improperly brought. We have prosecuted and defended class actions in a number of contexts dating back to the 1980s.
- We defended a client in a train derailment which caused the release of toxic chemicals.
- We prosecuted a “Pay Day Lender” who violated the Truth in Lending Act and the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act.
- We defended a §1983 class action brought against a juvenile court for alleged mistreatment of inmates at a juvenile detention center.
- We prosecuted an oil and gas company who didn’t pay the contractually agreed upon royalties to the land owners from whom they leased drilling rights.
- We defended professionals named in a securities fraud class action.
- Over the last decade, we have prosecuted many companies which advertised by facsimile in violation of the Junk Fax Prevention Act/Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- We have defended clients named in a number of class action suits alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act, and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.